We are in our second week of national calls to discuss business updates and member’s feedback and questions in relation to the Coronavirus. These sessions are invaluable for both the GMB Union and Asda. We will have two calls each week for the foreseeable future so that we can maintain key lines of communication. Items we have discussed include:
- How we are adapting and changing as the government advice changes to make sure that Asda is aligned.
- Protecting colleagues is the number one priority. Extremely vulnerable colleagues, vulnerable colleagues and those who live with extremely vulnerable people as classified by the government guidelines will all be treated in the same way and will continue to be paid for 12 weeks.
- Social distancing and the application in both stores and depots.
- Home Shopping and how we can make our offer safe for our colleagues, member and customers.
- Recognition for our colleagues who are supporting customers and communities during this unprecedented time.
We are actively encouraging all colleagues to keep up to date with the latest information on coronavirus on WalmartOne, which includes links to Government and NHS guidelines.
GMB continues to raise feedback on behalf of members with the company. Local GMB reps should ensure that feedback is raised first with the site/store management team, for the swiftest response, and then escalated to the national group if required. Leadership teams are encouraged to engage and work with local GMB reps.
We are also finalising a joint guidance document for local representatives which we will share as soon as complete.
Thank you again for everything you are all doing during this unprecedented time.
Alison Long Gary Carter
Senior Director – Labour Relations and Change National Officer Asda GMB