Join the GMB union, 10 great reasons to join a union.
By joining the GMB union you are helping promote our collective values of equality and solidarity in your workplace, helping grow the trade union and increase our bargaining power with your employer. Union membership is not an insurance policy only to be used when you have a problem at work, but rather an investment in the GMB union at your workplace and ongoing continued pressure on your employer to maintain fair policy.
1. GMB union helps our members win a better deal at work, empowered GMB trade union members speak in one voice to their employer during negotiations. GMB trade union members are paid approximately on average 6% more than non-unionised workplaces doing similar work and GMB trade union workplaces have smaller pay gaps.
2. Unionised workplaces are safer, the GMB trade union education department has ongoing training for GMB union representatives and health & safety representatives. Unionised workplaces have far fewer workplace injuries than non-unionised workplaces.
3. GMB union members enjoy more workplace benefits; like better job security, maternity, paternity, sickness and pension benefits. Union members are more likely to have control over their working hours and paid holiday.
4. Union solicitors dedicated to our members, offer legal advice and represent GMB members at employment tribunals. The GMB trade union and our solicitors support members if they are a victim of workplace discrimination, harassment or bullying.
5. The GMB trade union is aligned with the Labour Party, which was born in 1900 and grown from the trade union movement. Working as a collective in solidarity for the majority and GMB union members often go on to become Members of Parliament. As an MP they will push the trade union political agenda, giving our members a voice at the highest level.
6. Campaigns for Justice, the GMB union North West & Irish region, hosts a conference each year to highlight and support these campaigns like WOMEN'S AID, GRENFELL, SPY COPS, #OLDTYRESKILL, WASPI, Orgreave, BLACKLISTING and HILLSBOROUGH FAMILY SUPPORT GROUP.
7. GMB union has a 50/50 split of male and female members and the region Women’s Network, hosts an annual Women’s Conference. The 19th conference was held in 2019. GMB union helps make workplaces more inclusive for women, women members are far less likely to face problems at work while pregnant, on maternity leave or when they return to work.
8. Equalities group, as part of the union membership, meets a few times a year in support of union members who are LGBT+. Creating awareness in the workplace and offering extra support to members who maybe disadvantaged. LGBT+ workers, Black and minority ethnic workers, older workers and disabled workers are all supported by the GMB trade union.
9. Young members are represented too, the GMB union understands that younger members often face different challenges in the workplace. GMB members are encouraged to get involved in this group to help the union drive policies that include them too.
10. GMB union works hard so our members are treated with respect; fighting equal pay claims, opposing the closing of pensions schemes and stopping new workers being employed on worse terms and conditions.