The regions Young Members are an active group in our region, tackling issues that affect young members and driving new ideas for our trade union. New members are welcome.
The GMB North West and Irish Region Young members AGM will take place at
The Mechanics Institute
103 Princess Street (Major Street Entrance)
on Wednesday 25th April at 7-00pm in the Purcell room.
In order for our Northern Ireland Young Members to play a part in the region, a meeting will take place in our Holywood office at 6pm on Monday 23rd April. If you are attending on the night please confirm by contacting the GMB Holywood office on 02890393340.
As it is the AGM there are committee roles up for Election, please see below what roles are available and what is expected if you decide to go for any of the roles on offer.
If you are interested in any of the roles, please click on the survey monkey link and complete the questionnaire. Even if you can’t attend on the night, but would be interested in a committee role, then you can still follow the link and take part in the Elections.
- Communications Officer
If you are attending on the night, please RSVP as soon as possible so that we select a room that is suitable for the meeting. Once we have a rough guide on the number of delegates there will be an Agenda sent out.
Regional Political Officer
GMB North West & Irish Region
108 Union Street
0161 627 3062
GMB Young Members Regional Executive Committee - Role Descriptions
The GMB Young Members North West and Irish Committee has one Chair. The role is linked with the Secretary, the Chair’s main role is to provide leadership to the committee, be the main representative of GMB North West and Irish Young Members and give steer to the work of the Region.
· To effectively network and apply strategy
· To ensure that the network's constitution is followed
· To ensure that meetings are planned and chaired effectively
· To ensure that matters are dealt with in an orderly and efficient manner
· To review the network's performance in line with the objectives of the constitution
· To liaise between the committee, regions and regional/national officers
· To deal with any internal issues within the region where appropriate
· To represent the committee as it’s figurehead where appropriate, such as speaking at conferences/events
The GMB Young Members Regional Committee has one secretary. The role is linked with the Chair, the Secretary coordinates the work of the GMB North West and Irish Young Members Networ und undertakes most of the administrative work of the committee.
· Taking minutes at meetings
· Sending minutes to young members & other interested parties
· Arrange meetings with Region
· Dealing with any internal communications such as national, young members queries & regional equality officers
· Assisting the chair in any duties that may need to be undertaken
· Attending meetings & being a proactive voice for young workers
· Helping with campaign planning & other activities
· Liaising with other campaign groups to build support around common campaigns
· Acting as chair when chair is not available
· Being a good positive face of the union & young members
· Liaising with Regional Office
The GMB Young Members Regional Network Committee has two Communications Officer positions available, with one position reserved for a woman member. The Communications Officer works to make the voice of the GMB North West and Irish Young Members Network heard on young workers issues and that our campaigns and events are publicised externally when necessary.
· Ensuring Regional GMB Young Members online media platforms active and up-to-date such as our website, social media pages and any other online sites created by the National GMB Young Members Network. This includes regularly publishing content (news, images, videos) and passing on online queries from GMB members and members of the public to the Chair and Secretary.
· Real time coverage our events and activities on social media when required e.g. live tweets and Facebook posts of campaign action or events on the day.
· Working with the GMB Regional Press Office to prepare for any press media opportunities and coverage of our national campaigns and young workers issues, including helping to draft press releases and be a point of contact for journalist enquiries if required.
· Assisting the Chair in developing good external relations with other young workers’ groups and partners in the trade union and labour movement.